Food banks across the country are seeing a spike in demand as millions have lost jobs and suffered other economic hardships during the coronavirus pandemic. Therefore, in an effort to help respond to this new threat to hunger and food insecurity, we are collecting non-perishable food donations. In particular, to aid the Food Bank of Northwest Indiana and Frankfort Township Food Pantry.
SO, WHAT KIND OF FOOD SHOULD WE DONATE?
The food you collect and donate will go directly to children, adults, and seniors struggling with hunger in our community. They may be classmates, colleagues, neighbors or even friends. So, the better question is: what kind of food would you like? Focus on foods that are nutrient-rich, healthy, and tasty... stuff you would want to eat!
- Canned Proteins - Canned chicken, tuna, and salmon are good, shelf-stable items. In addition, they add much-needed protein to a meal.
- Peanut Butter and Unsalted Nuts - Peanut butter in a jar, peanut butter on crackers, or a container of unsalted nuts. These are a delicious, protein-packed lunch or snack.
- Mixes and Cereals made with water - Many households do not regularly have milk or eggs, so consider boxed meals that can be made with just water. Think oatmeal, cereals, instant rice, or packaged pasta and noodles.
- Canned/Dried Beans, Lentils, Chickpeas - These are great protein options for vegetarians to use alone, in soups, or as part of a full meal.
- Ready-to-Eat Fruit - Whether they are used for breakfast, in lunch, or an on-the-go snack, single-serve fruit cups, squeezable fruit sauces, or cartons of dried fruit help kids and families get nutritious servings of fruit year-round.
(Frankfort Township Food Pantry has an itemized list they update every week or so. You can find that list HERE.)
Please bring your non-perishable food donations to our Mokena, Illinois and Highland, Indiana showrooms.
For additional information on hunger and food assistance in Northwest Indiana, please contact the Food Bank at 219.980.1777. For more information on the Frankfort Township Food Pantry, please contact 815-469-4907 X 2761.
Home | Food Bank of Northwest Indiana. (n.d.). Retrieved from Food Bank of Northwest Indiana: https://foodbanknwi.org/