- Attach felt pads underneath all furniture that comes in direct contact with the hardwood floor to prevent scratches or damage to the floor.
- Never clean or wet mop with water. Water may permanently damage the floor.
- Never use any of the following products (or products similar in nature) on your floor: ammonia-based cleaners, acrylic finishes, wax-based products, detergents, bleach, polishes, oil soap, abrasive cleaning soaps, or acidic materials such as vinegar. Many of these products can pit or etch the finish of your flooring or prevent the proper use of recommended maintenance materials.
- You can vacuum, sweep, or dust-mop your floor as needed. The vacuum head must be a brush or felt - wand attachment is preferable. Do not use vacuums with beater bars or hard heads. A hardwood floor swivel-head mop with a terry cloth or microfiber cover comes highly recommended to eliminate the finer particles of grit and dirt that can act like sandpaper on hardwood floors.
- Use interior and exterior doormats at all entrances to collect dirt and moisture and prevent it from being tracked onto the hardwood floor. Extra cleaner/moisture left on the hardwood floor may damage the fibers of the wood.
- Area rugs are recommended in front of kitchen sinks, at all pivot points and within high traffic areas. Do not use rugs with solid rubber or vinyl backings. The rugs must be made of a breathable material to prevent moisture entrapment.
- Keep animal nails trimmed to minimize finish scratches.
- Be careful not to damage your floor with shoes having heel tap/spike/stilettos or sharp objects protruding from the sole, such as rocks, exposed nails, gravel etc.
- Do not roll or slide heavy objects directly upon the floor. When moving appliances or heavy furniture, consider laying a solid protective covering on your floor and gently “walk” the item across it. Carpet or cardboard is not adequate to prevent surface compression scratches. Also, replace hard, narrow furniture rollers with wide rubber rollers.
- Protect your floor from direct sunlight with curtains or UV resistant film on large glass doors and windows. Also, keep relative humidity in your home between 35% and 55%.
Creative Carpet & Flooring offers hardwood refinishing to homeowners in Mokena, Frankfort, New Lenox, Tinley Park, Orland Park, Homer Glen, Illinois and many other nearby Chicagoland communities. We also service Highland, St. John, Munster, Schererville, Crown Point, and most of Northwest Indiana. Our craftsmen who do the work are state licensed and insured, and have had many years of onsite experience at bringing dull, lackluster flooring back to life. We work quickly to minimize your family’s inconvenience and leave your home with a revitalized hardwood floor that looks every bit as pristine as when your floor was originally installed.
Want more information? Phone us, e-mail us, or stop in to our showroom in Mokena, IL or Highland, IN at your convenience to discuss your need for hardwood refinishing with one of our expert craftsmen.